History in the Making
Since its inception in 1970, the Pensacola Big Game Fishing Club has been the host to the country’s largest billfish tournaments. The first gathering, launched in 1971 as a club affair, involved only a handful of boats and anglers. Rapidly the attraction developed a reputation as the premier fishing tradition and turned a three-day bluewater Gulf of Mexico deepsea fishing competition into the sporting event of the year, luring a record number of anglers and boats from accross the nation.The International Billfish Tournament, celebrated every 4th of July weekend in Downtown Pensacola at the Plaza DeLuna Park is a qualifying event for the World Billfish Series and IGFA World Championship. This event continues to take pride in presenting the most affordable and family friendly tournament on the Gulf Coast. Two additional events, the Junior Angler Tournament and Pensacola Ladies Billfish Tournament, both hosted at the WCI Lost Key Marina Yacht Club, compliment the PBGFC’s trio of tournaments.
The annual competitions are filled with the best in fishing, sizable crowds and memorable award celebrations of cash and prizes. The objectives and purpose of the Pensacola Big Game Fishing Club touches a personal side by meeting goals set forth by the organization.
- To stimulate and encourage the sport of big game fishing in northwest Florida coastal waters and more particularly, in those waters near and offshore of Pensacola, Florida.
- To demonstrate the recreational facilities and the abundance of big game fish off and near the coast of Pensacola, Florida and to advertise, publicize and promote Pensacola as a recreational attraction and as a big game fishing area.
- To encourage and promote the conservation and study of game fishes; to assist and cooperate with other members, clubs and scientific foundations in the collection and dissemination of available data and information.
- To encourage and promote the sport of big game fishing as a recreation and as a source of scientific data.
- To maintain the ethics of the sport by adhering to the rules of the I.G.F.A.
The members of the Pensacola Big Game Fishing Club thank all of those who have helped to make our series of tournaments successful and look forward to the promising future of fun in the sun as we continue to FISH THE TRADITION!!!
Tight Lines and Screaming Drags!